Koi care The Five Most Common Causes of Sick Koi
The Five Most Common Causes of Sick Koi
Every day I receive many requests from koi pond hobbyist across the country for help with their sick koi. I would like to share with you the top five most common causes of sick koi.
1. Poor Pond Water Quality: 70% of all koi sickness is caused from poor pond water quality
• Filter not large enough for the size of the pond
• Not enough aeration: falsely thinking if you have a waterfalls, it’s enough aeration. The Importance of Aeration
• Not doing partial weekly pond water changes
• Not doing weekly pond water testing for ammonia, nitrites and pH
• Over cleaning your filter and filter media killing all the “Good Bacteria”
• Cleaning your filter and filter media with “City Water” that contains chlorine which kills all the “Good Bacteria”.
2. Not quarantining new fish: VERY IMPORTANT!!! How to Quarantine your new Koi:
3. Over Feeding
4. Over Crowding How many fish will my pond hold?
5. “Chemical Soup”: having sick koi and adding every medication you read about to your pond
Just by correcting these five common causes, you can keep your koi happy and healthy.